Mike’s disruptive strategic planning and tendency to jump into the middle of conflict and controversy (if the cause is right) often puts him in the spotlight. Here’s a list of curated news articles.
Mike as an Influencer
- 13K+ followers on Facebook
- Book Author:
- Amazon Author Page
- Finishing Machine: Was It Road Rage Murder or Self-Defense? A Trained Killer’s Fight for Justice (professionally produced Audio book available)
- Inadmissible Science: Polygraphs in Court.
- Mike’s Book Banned by Oregon Department of Corrections – “Prisons ban book by local attorneys,” Eugene Register-Guard.
CBS 48 Hours
- Trail of Tears – CBS 48 Hours (full online 2016 Episode that he’s featured prominently in): Eagle Creek Cliff Murder. See him in court.
- 2018 Conclusion to 48 Hours saga – “Mystery at Eagle Creek” – See Mike driving his little tractor.
Oregon Standoff/Ammon Bundy
- Eugene Register Guard: Politician credits lawyer in standoff Nevada’s Michele Fiore says Eugene’s Mike Arnold “truly is a hero”
- Washington Post – Getting to Hallelujah: The frantic final hours of the Oregon refuge occupation
- The Atlantic – “The Nobility of Good Lawyers With Bad Clients.” The armed standoff in Burns, Oregon, is a perfect case study for why all defendants need excellent representation—and why the current criminal-justice state is no panacea
- Mike at his snarkiest using his First Amendment rights to protect a client – Daily Astorian: Bundy lawyers fire back at Marquis: Arnold called Marquis’ complaint with the state bar “frivolous.” “Only a narcissist could possibly conceive that two lawyers from Eugene could influence the jury pool in a case this big with this much coverage and national interest,” he said in an email. “We just don’t exude that sort of influence. Our constitutionally protected words are a drop in the bucket compared to the negative publicity against Ammon.”
- OPB/NPR: “Oregon State Bar Dismisses Final Complaint Against Former Bundy Attorney.” This case has been discussed as a prelude for attorneys becoming increasingly brave that their free speech rights and advocacy duties preempt “white shoed” and archaic lawyer publicity rules.
- Mike’s 1/29/2016 – Press Conference – Mike picking on the FBI and US Attorney’s trying to save lives at the refuge at a press conference. Within an hour of that press conference, Mike’s unlisted cell phone rang and it was the FBI asking for assistance in facilitating an end to the standoff. A handy trick for a very private and unlisted attorney cell phone number.